As you probably know, Elena is a cloth diapered baby. Using cloth is great. It saves us a ton of money and it's earth friendly! Most of the cloth diapers we use are pockets...which is exactly that - it has a pocket built in the lining, which we then stuff with an absorbant insert to soak up the pee. Most of our diapers come with microfiber inserts, which are highly absorbant.
Another option however, is hemp. Inserts made of hemp are trimmer and therefore less bulky, and they are very absorbant as well. Hemp is naturally antimicrobial and more breathable than cotton. It will also last longer than cotton inserts, because it is stronger and more durable; yet, it becomes softer and more absorbant with each wash. Hemp is very popular for heavy wetters, because you can add more layers without the bulk. It is also popular for nighttime diapers, as baby wears the diaper for much longer than daytime diapers.
I decided to try out hemp, in hopes to switch out our microfiber inserts with hemp.
I chose the Willow Store's Organic Hemp Pocket Insert. These hemp inserts are ultra thin, organic/hemp material and the inserts come in 3 sizes. I chose the small size.
What I like:
1. These are much trimmer than a microfiber insert! I almost felt like I didn't have an insert inside her diaper!
2. Soft....even softer once it's been prepped and washed several times!
3. Super soaker! For overnight, I paired this with a microfiber insert and it worked great. No leaks and her diaper wasn't so bulky that she looked uncomfortable.
4. Fit great in a wide variety of diapers. I have used this insert in Bum Genius diapers, Fuzzi Bunz and Rumparooz pocket diapers and it is wide enough to fit the width of the diaper, so no chance for leaks!
5. The price! Hemp inserts cost a bit more than microfiber, so I was definitely looking for something more economical. Willow Store's hemp inserts are priced reasonably.
What I don't like:
1. In order to prep hemp for use, you have to do multiple hot washes before using. Of course, this is for ALL hemp, not just the Willow Store's hemp. I hate prepping hemp unless I have enough a large enough laod to make it worth the water usage!
The Willow Store also has many other products you should check out!
Their main product is WillowPads, reusable cloth pads. If that's not your thing they also make organic hemp/fleece nursing pads, Forever cloths (reusable "unpaper" towels) and many other things!
Stay tuned for a giveaway right here on my blog for......the hemp/fleece nursing pads!
I can't wait to tell you about them!
Okay...sneak peek.....I love them. Softest.things.ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment