CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 3, 2011

...with my crafty weekend.

With two kids, I don't have much time to try my hand at crafty projects very often. However, I have been collecting craft ideas over on Pinterest for quite a while now and decided I should get a move on with trying out a few. My goal was to be successful, otherwise I would feel as though it was precious time wasted. I somehow managed to do three...yes, 3....different projects today. Two were a success...the third - well, the third was a failure.

Here's what I did!

Made a birdseed wreath and garland to give for a Christmas gift.
Tutorial here.
Here is a picture of the garland drying....I used a silicone pan for one (hearts was all I had!)and a regular tin muffin pan for the other. Then I put cooking string going from one to the next, so when I pull them out they will create a garland! I had quite a bit of leftovers and didn't want to waste it, so I stuffed a toilet paper tube with the birdseed mixture as well with a string to hang it from a tree, etc.



Made this really cute wreath...mine is Christmas-y themed with red and green fabric.
Tutorial here.



The failure was this project - DIY porch Christmas trees.

I had two tomato cages already, so all we had to pick up from the store was 2 lighted garlands. We bought two, 9-foot garlands (sounds long, right?) for a total of $24. Well, tomato cages are much taller when not buried in dirt, so we ended up having to use both garlands to cover ONE tomato cage and even then it just didn't look right. It didn't have a tree shape to it AND it just wasn't cost effective...one DIY tree would have been $24 each...I could buy 2 of the lighted porch trees at an end-of-season clearance sale for about that price (or cheaper) and it would look nicer than our DIY tree. So, we took it apart, packaged the garland back up and will be returning it to the store :( Bummer, I was really looking forward to having some sort of decor on our front porch.

I have a few more homemade gifts I will be making soon, so stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails