CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 8, 2010

...with brussel sprouts.











Recently we received brussel sprouts in our CSA box. I haven't eaten a brussel sprout since I was a kid and my mom made them. I don't remember if I liked them when I was kid, but I remember eating them. My mom bought the frozen brussel sprouts, so this was the first time I had seen fresh ones! I don't think I've even seen fresh brussel sprouts in the grocery store....probably because I never looked!

So what to do with fresh brussel sprouts? I searched online and quickly found a recipe that sounded easy and yummy.

I was excited to cook them and give them a try. My husband had never eaten a brussel sprout so I was curious to see what he thought!

Here's the simple recipe:

15 Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed with the flat of a knife
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
salt and pepper

Melt butter and olive oil in a medium skillet (over medium-high heat) until butter is foamy. Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and cook until lightly browned.
Remove garlic and discard.
Add sprouts cut side down, cover, and cook without stirring on medium-low heat 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned, with a nutty, buttery flavor enhanced by garlic.
Top with freshly grated parmesan and salt & pepper to taste.












They turned out delicious and I even went to the grocery store the following week and found and bought more brussel sprouts to cook!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome. I have really negative brussel sprout memories from my childhood and to this day will not touch the things. But, I'm willing to try them again as long as we can find a decent recipe (ie, no more steamed brussels for me!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails