CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 5, 2010

...when I failed at dyeing Easter Eggs the natural way!


For Easter I attempted to dye some Easter eggs using a homemade all natural dye.
I found the instructions to this method on display at the local Outpost foods.
It required a few specific ingredients, which I picked up at the store and some extra time in comparison to traditional egg dyes (ya know, the boxed tablets you get in the Easter kits).
I thought it would be a great thing to blog about when I was finished (I took pictures!).
Well, it didn't work out so well. I thought about not posting about it at all, but who am I kidding? Nobody's perfect, so why not post about it anyways.
There were several different "colors" of dye you could get by using various household foods/ingredients.
I chose to use Turmeric Powder, crushed red cabbage (smelled horrendous!) and grape juice.






I followed the directions to a "T".
So, here are the directions, in case you want to try it for yourself....you know, a few days after Easter!

Turmeric Powder - Put 1-2 tsp (I did 2) ground Turmeric powder in heat proof cup. Fill 2/3 full with boiling water. Add 1 tsp white vinegar. Works quickly.

Chopped Red Cabbage - Plug your nose! Put 2-3 tbsp chopped red cabbage in heat safe cup. Fill 2/3 full with boiling water and add 1 tsp white vinegar. Le sit overnight and avoid excess handling.

Grape Juice - Add 1 cup frozen juice concentrate to 1 rsp vinegar. Let ist an hour or over night. (I did over night)

So the actual dyeing part wasn't difficult, it's what happened when I removed the eggs from the dye. I had to rinse them off (otherwise they would be wet and sticky, escpecially the grape juiced eggs!) Well, when I rinsed them off, guess what else rinsed off......yup! The color went right down the drain! I do have to say though, that the Turmeric powder egg did retain some of the yellow color. That was the best one. The grape juice one had this slimy "film" on it.
My husband ate most of the eggs before I could take a picture. But here are the grape juiced eggs.



If you have dyed eggs using a natural method before, please share with me how you did it! I would love to try it again sometime....like next Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails